Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Final Bite

I went to Little Star for pizza the other night with my uncle. It had been a very long time since I had last been to this great pizza place in San Francisco. They are known for both their thin crust, and deep dish. The last couple of times I have been to Little Star I had the thin crust pizza. This time however I returned to the deep dish. It was an amazing choice. We had the special, which had bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and house-made meatballs. These toppings, along with the chunky, roasted tomato sauce, worked perfectly together. Each bite of pizza contained a small explosion of flavor. One bite would highlight the sweet and crunchy onion, another would underline the smoky bell peppers, or the earthy, chewy mushrooms, and the next would display the robust, salty meatballs. This pizza was savory and slightly sweet while being crunchy and firm around the edges, but soft and gooey in the middle.

The most impressive part of the pizza however was the crust. I have made crust for deep-dish pizzas before, and I understand how difficult it can be to keep it crusty and strong, but moist and buttery without it becoming over-stretched or mealy. The people in the kitchen at Little Star clearly have not run into this problem. I would have paid for a giant bowl of crust from this restaurant. It was crunchy and yet buttery enough to melt in your mouth on contact. The most amazing part was that it was able to hold up to the well-stuffed Chicago-style pizza without falling apart at all. This crust was great because instead of being a huge, over-the-top pie like the ones at Zachary's, this was just the right size. It was big enough to pile with cheese, meat, veggies, and tomato sauce, but it wasn't intimidatingly large. This crust was so good I looked forward to finishing each piece of pizza so that I could eat the crust alone. Never before have I tasted a crust this perfectly crafted on a deep-dish pie.

No comments: